trademarks

I just registered for my next course,  Civil War Strategy and Tactics, which will start March 2nd. Book list looks terrific and is on order. It’s also loaded on my virtual bookshelves which you can access by clicking on any of the books. I’ve updated “the courses” page here.

Course Description: This course is a study of the American Civil War with emphasis on operational contributions of Union and Confederate military leadership. Students examine Civil War battles on two levels: the strategic doctrine as formed by the major commanders and tactical developments that affected the conduct of battle at a lower echelon of command. Special emphasis is on the interplay between these levels in order to gain a comprehensive view of strategy and tactics in both armies from 1861-1865.

battletacticsofthecivilwar lincoln1twogreatrebelarmies attack 71xfy5rnd5l_sl210_ 41w01p50jdl_sl210_511x6rn2xgl_sl210_

7 Responses to Next Course – Civil War Strategy and Tactics

1. Tzv says:

Hi,

I just discovered you. Do you mean that you will be conducting a course through your blog?

2. Rene,

I second Larry’s recommendation of Harsh’s other books on the 1862 Maryland Campaign.

It looks like you have an interesting set of books in our book list as well. I particularly enjoyed Richard McMurry’s book on the ANV and AoT. It’s striking when you compare those armies and see how the deck was stacked in the ANVs favor from day 1.

Brett

3. Rene Tyree says:

Larry,
    Thanks for the tip. I’ll add Harsh’s books to my order for sure. Appreciate it!

Rene

4. Larry Freiheit says:

Rene,

This course was one of my favorites at APU.

If you have the time, Harsh’s two companion books on the Maryland Campaign are must reads, IMO.

Larry

5. Rene Tyree says:

Thanks for your note Trevas. I’m fascinated by both WWI and WWII as well. Appreciate your thoughts on some good reading on both.

Rene

6. eBookGuru says:

Sounds like an interesting course. Although I’ve never studied the Civil War, I did study WWI and WWII quite extensively. When you really get into the from-front-lines kind of books, it makes for great reading, and excellent learning material.

Cheers,
    Trevas

7. Rene Tyree says:

No plans at present to conduct a course but that’s a fun idea. Would you be interested? The course refers to my next graduate class starting on Monday.